The term au pair is French which means on equal terms. An au pair is a young person between 18 & 30 years old who becomes a temporary member of a family. Usually, it's a young girl (90 %) but more and more often, young boys are taking the opportunity to improve their language skills and get acquainted with a new culture.
In exchange for free board and lodging, a private room and pocket money (70 € a week), the au pair will take care of children and help with light housework including vaccuming, dusting, preparing the table for meal times and emptying the dishwasher.
IH Murcia is not an au pair agency. We help you use to find a caring and kind Spanish host family and make all the necessary arrangements without using an agency so you will save a vast amount of money. Please note that we can provide this service in Murcia only.
- Fees: 490 € no matter length. A 2 week Spanish intensive language course is included.
- Duration of the stay: from 3 to 12 months.
- Free activities: IH Murcia school weekly social & activity programme included.
- Age restrictions: 18 to 29 years.
- Preconditions: You must be single without children and have some knowledge of Spanish.
- Working hours: 35 per week.
- Holidays/spare time: At least one and a half days per week are free. Au pairs have no entitlement to holiday but in many cases 1-2 weeks of holiday can be agreed upon with the families.
- Pocket money: 70 € per week.
- Travel costs / language course: The au pair is responsible for the costs of her/his travel and language courses. The au pair will have the opportunity of attending a language course in our school longer than the contracted two week period.
- Health insurance: EU citizens have all health costs covered by the Social Health Security of Spain. They need a European Health Insurance Card from their health insurance. Non - EU passport holders should enquire with their proper local authorities about what kind of medical insurance documents they must present.
- Language skills: It is helpful if the au pair speaks a little Spanish and/or English.
- EU Citizens: do not need a visa to become au pair in Spain. You just need a valid passport or a valid identity card. If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you must anounce this to the aliens registration authority.
- Non-EU citizens: are allowed to live as an au pair in Spain, but they are not allowed to work (and so be paid) as an au pair in Spain. If you want to live as an au pair in Spain longer than three months, you need a student visa from your local Spanish embassy. You also will have to prove that you can afford your stay as you are not allowed to work as an au pair. It is not possible that a person comes to Spain as a tourist and afterwards changes his status to be an au pair. In order to get a visa for Spain you need the following: a valid passport, the completely filled in and signed visa application form, passport sized photos, a health certificate, a certificate of good conduct and the au pair contract. Before coming to Spain, the au pair must be enrolled in a Spanish language course in our school.
Our courses can be taken for periods of time different than those indicated. Please contact us for further information and don´t forget to read our general conditions on bookings & prices. Remember there is a 39 € inscription fee and 35 € course material in all courses.
Please contact us to have all the necessary information on being an au pair in IH Murcia. We cannot guarantee that all information we gathered is correct or complete although we have done our best in the research.
We appreciate any comments. Thank you!